Out of hundreds of submissions, 13 photographs were selected to be featured in the Missouri Lottery’s 2014 calendar through the “Show Me Your Pet” photo contest. Robert Gard of Ravenwood won the grand prize for his photograph of his puppy, “Cecil,” frolicking through a Missouri meadow carrying a stick nearly as large as the dog itself. The image will be showcased on the calendar’s cover.
A total of 12 other photographs were chosen to be highlighted as monthly winners. The photographers of the photos selected as monthly winners received $100 in Scratchers tickets. Gard, the contest’s grand-prize winner, was awarded with $500 for capturing the calendar’s cover-worthy image. All winners will also receive a photo credit and a copy of the calendar.
“There were so many wonderful photographs from proud pet owners to choose from this year, ranging from backyard chickens to a pet raccoon,” said May Scheve Reardon, executive director of the Missouri Lottery. “We received our fair share of entries featuring cats and dogs, too. There is a little something to strike every animal enthusiast’s fancy in the 2014 calendar. Although it was a very difficult decision narrowing down our wide variety of entries, we’re excited about the winning photographs.”
Reardon added that 2014 calendars will be distributed in December to nearly 5,000 Missouri Lottery retailers for onsite display.
2014 calendar contest winners:
• Cover – Robert Gard of Ravenwood*
• January – Cherrie Johnson of Crane**
• February – Joe McMillen of Farmington
• March – Kimberli Meyer of Bland
• April – Rachel Owens of Halfway
• May – Mary Peters of Kansas City, Kan.
• June – Cherrie Johnson of Crane**
• July – Mary Kempker of Jefferson City
• August – Lora Colter of Osage Beach
• September – Chelsae Figge of Columbia
• October – Bob Tenholder of St. Louis
• November – Tesa Foxall of La Grange
• December – Shannon Loy of N. Kansas City
**Two winning photographs by this photographer were selected.