March 29, 2012
Mega Millions Jackpot is Largest Ever at $540 Million
High sales have once again pushed the Mega Millions jackpot even higher – the jackpot for Friday night’s drawing is now estimated at $540 million, the largest ever offered in the world.
“The key during this frenzy is to be sure to play within your means,” said May Scheve Reardon, executive director of the Missouri Lottery. “We want players to understand that it only takes $1 to win.”
Reardon said with the unheard of jackpot amount, people are getting a chance to let their dreams soar to new heights. Not only could someone do some amazingly extravagant things, but they could also help a great deal of other people with the prize money, if they so choose.
“With this jackpot, you would have enough money to pay all four years of an undergraduate degree at Mizzou for the entire freshman class,” said Reardon. “It’s an incredible amount of money, and I am sure players are dreaming about how they might share this jackpot if they win.”
In addition to playing responsibly, the Missouri Lottery urges players to sign the back of their tickets immediately after purchase, and keep them in a safe place. Players have until 8:59 p.m. on Friday to buy tickets for this drawing.
What could you do with $540 million?
- Buy the World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals team!
(Estimated worth $488 million in April 2010, according to Forbes magazine)
- Build another Busch Stadium, with plenty of money left to buy refreshments and food for all game attendees!
(Estimated cost was $365 million)
- Renovate Kauffman Stadium... TWICE!
(Estimated cost in 2009 was $250 million)
- Acquire more than a quarter ownership of the L.A. Dodgers’ franchise!
(Cost $2 billion)
- Pay for four years of undergraduate tuition, room, board and books for the entire incoming freshman class at Mizzou!
(Based on current full-year tuition of $22,216; 5,027 freshmen enrolled in 2011)
- Fly the friendly skies with nine Gulfstream jets of your very own!
(Approximately $60 million each)
- Bask in the sun on one of your own 22 private islands!
(Approximately $24.5 million each)
- Buy 2012 Cadillac Escalades for 8,548 of your closest friends!
(Approximately $63,170 each)
- Buy a Hilton hotel in downtown St. Louis and give it a makeover!
(The Hilton hotel at 400 Olive Street was recently acquired for more than $393 million)
- Give every man, woman and child in Missouri $90