September 21, 2000
DESLOGE WOMAN WINS TRIP AROUND THE WORLD OR CASH
Jennifer "Jenny" Copeland, 32, of Desloge will soon be deciding if she will take the 24-day trip for two around the world or $25,000 cash after her name was drawn Wednesday as the grand-prize winner in the Missouri Lottery’s "Luckytown World Traveler Promotion."
"I’m pretty sure I will take the cash," Copeland, a homemaker, told lottery officials this morning. "I don’t fly."
Copeland added that she would like to use some of the money to buy some land and a new car, since her car has not been working properly.
Copeland only submitted one entry into the drawing of 17,357 entries.
In addition to the grand prize, 10 names were drawn to win $1,000 cash. Twenty-five additional players were drawn to win a pair of tickets to a party suite at the
Trans World Dome in St. Louis on Oct. 15 to watch St. Louis’ professional football team play Atlanta’s team. Those winners will be notified of their prize by letter within the next two weeks. (See attached list of 36 winners.)
The 24-day trip package for two has a value of more than $48,000 and includes airfare, accommodations, tours, transfers and some meals during stops in cities like Tokyo, Beijing, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Rome, Paris and London.
If Copeland decides not to take the trip package, she will receive $25,000 cash. The Missouri Lottery will pay 28 percent federal and 4 percent state withholding taxes based on the value of either prize chosen.
Players entered the promotion using an entry form produced with the purchase of a $3 Daily Game Sampler ticket between Aug. 7 and Sept. 2. A Daily Game Sampler combination play consists of a $1 SHOW ME 5 play, a $1 Pick 3 play and a $1 Pick 4 play.
Copeland purchased the ticket that produced her winning entry at Streett’s Convenience, 1041 Karsch Blvd. in Farmington.
The Missouri Lottery began offering the Daily Game Sampler to players last December. To kick off the new play method, the Lottery held the "Millennium World Traveler Promotion," a similar promotion in which John Immen of Bella Vista, Ark., won the grand prize and chose the $25,000 cash - taxes paid.
"LUCKYTOWN WORLD TRAVELER PROMOTION"
Grand-prize - trip around the world or $25,000 tax-paid cash:
Jennifer Copeland of Desloge
10 first prizes of $1,000 (by city):
1. Mike Heberer of Ballwin
2. Vicky Hatfield of Carl Junction
3. August Butler of Independence
4. George Cottingham of Independence
5. Jim Hawkins of Leawood, Kan.
6. Kathleen Wilkerson of Perryville
7. Ramona Bell of Springfield
8. Stephen or Ida Penn of Springfield
9. Betty Kimker of St. Louis (63129)
10. Robert Bertels of Theodosia
25 second prizes of two tickets to the St. Louis vs. Atlanta football game on Oct. 15:
1. Patty Jewell of Cape Fair
2. Shirley Dowd of Chaffee
3. Linda Algiere of Columbia
4. Colleen Bischoff of De Soto
5. Susan Gillispie of Excelsior Springs
6. Kathy McIntyre of Festus
7. Peggy Straughter of Florissant
8. Walter Miller of Garfield, Ark.
9. Charles Clarkston of Henley
10. Ralonda Beasley of Kansas City (64131)
11. Rick Delafuente of Kansas City (64151)
12. Mark Lora of Kansas City (64134)
13. Walter Moore of Kansas City (64129)
14. Bill Eairer of Malden
15. Robert Benson of Neosho
16. George Hicks of Odessa
17. J. Kraus of O’Fallon
18. Vic Zotta of Overland
19. Mike May of Ozark
20. O.E. Yates Sr. of Pevely
21. Dan Berry of Raytown
22. Pam Bodenhamer of Springfield
23. Alice Glass of St. Louis (63114)
24. Bobby Humphreys of St. Peters
25. Floyd Roeber of Webb City