June 8, 2007
Lottery Awards Cardinals Season Tickets
Two Missouri Lottery players are in the winning "line up" after the first drawing for the Lottery’s Major League Baseball® "Catch the Cardinals™" promotion. David Beckley, Memphis, and Donna Pitman, Greenville, each won the grand prize of St. Louis Cardinals 2008 season tickets for two in the "Catch the Cardinals™" promotion in a drawing held on May 24.
"Are you kidding me?" replied Beckley when a Lottery official informed him of his win. "I told my boss if you were calling to tell me I won season tickets, I would pass out. I’m sitting down in the yard because I can’t stand up right now. You made my day."
Beckley, 59, has been a mail carrier in Memphis for 22 years. He has three children and three stepchildren, and he’s planning to take them to some Cardinals games next year with his season tickets.
In addition to being a big Cardinals fan, Beckley has a connection to a baseball player in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Jake Beckley from Hannibal is a distant relative of David Beckley. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1971. He finished his baseball career playing for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1904-1907.
Pitman had a similar reaction to hearing the news that she had won the grand prize.
"I didn’t win the seasons tickets, did I?" Pitman asked when a Lottery official called to notify her of her win.
Pitman, 47, said her twin 13-year-old daughters will be excited about her Cardinals season tickets. She has five children, but her twins are the only ones still living at home. She plans to "spread it out" so all of her children can go to some games next season.
"My daughters are huge fans," Pitman said.
Pitman, who moved to St. Louis from Detroit 13 years ago, said, "There was almost fighting in our house last year," when the Cardinals played in the 2006 World Series against the Detroit Tigers.
Three other players won big prizes in the "Catch the Cardinals™" drawing:
- John Hayes, Afton, won St. Louis Cardinals 2008 single game tickets for a luxury box for up to 30 people;
- Bonnie Biondo, St. Louis, won a road trip for two to Chicago for a St. Louis Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs game including airfare, hotel accommodations, $500 spending money and two tickets to the game; and
- John Rucker Jr., Lake Ozark, won two premium tickets to a St. Louis Cardinals home game including dinner, hotel accommodations and a ceremonial first pitch before the game.
In addition to the prizes listed above, 300 winners were drawn to receive Cardinals prize packages in the "Catch the Cardinals™" promotion.
The May 24 drawing was the first of three drawings in the Missouri Lottery’s "Catch the Cardinals™" promotion, which started on March 28. The "Catch the Cardinals™" promotion includes:
- Six sets of two 2008 season tickets (two sets awarded per drawing);
- Three stadium party room prize packages for up to 30 people for one 2008 game (one awarded per drawing);
- Three Cardinals™ vs. Cubs™ road trips for two to Chicago (one awarded per drawing);
- Three ceremonial first pitch prize packages for two for one 2008 game (one awarded per drawing); and
- Nine hundred officially licensed MLB® Cardinals™ merchandise packages, including jerseys, caps, jackets, wind shirts and duffle bags (300 awarded per drawing).
The second drawing for the promotion will be held on July 12. The deadline to submit an entry is July 5. To enter the "Catch the Cardinals™" promotion, players should submit one $5 non-winning "St. Louis Cardinals™" Scratchers ticket.
Players can submit their entries through the Lottery’s Web site at Molottery.com, by mail or by dropping them off at any Missouri Lottery office.
For more details, go the "Catch the Cardinals™" details page.