October 19, 2005
Follow These Steps If You Hold The Winning Ticket
What do you do if you find yourself holding the $340 million winning ticket tonight? The Missouri Lottery has put together a few basic tips to help you through the process:
1. Sign the back of the ticket, and put it in a safe place. Your ticket is your only claim for the prize. We recommend a fireproof locked box or a safety deposit box.
2. Keep your news to yourself or your immediate family, so you will have time to strategize. You will want to take some time to decide how and when you are going to claim your prize.
3. Get professional advice. The Missouri Lottery advises jackpot winners to contact a professional advisor or a team of advisors to help them decide the best way for them to claim their prize. When a player makes a claim, he or she will need to know two things: if he or she would like to take the money in a lump-sum (cash) payment or paid out over 29 years (30 payments); and if he or she plans to share the prize with anyone else.
4. Take your time. During a huge life change, it is crucial to remain calm, take your time and don’t make rash decisions.
5. Contact the Missouri Lottery. Big winners should call the Missouri Lottery’s headquarters to obtain further information about making the claim. The telephone number is (573) 751-4050.